5 family-friendly activities in Estes Park
Planning a summer family reunion and need activities for the youngest to the oldest to enjoy together? Have no fear as Estes Park is the perfect family-friendly destination with plenty of outdoor activities and restaurants to explore.
- Visiting Rocky Mountain National Park is without a doubt the most popular thing to do in Estes Park and has something for every generation to love! With plenty of hiking and horseback riding trails, scenic drives, and wildlife sighting you won’t have a dull moment! But, if you want the time in the park to have a perfect blend of fun and education then plan to attend one of the ranger programs or pick up the Junior Rangers program booklet for a real hands-on approach. If your family vacation is adding up more quickly than you hoped, plan a visit around the fee-free days to make the most out of your vacation budget.
- Indulge your sense of adventure at the Open Air Adventure Park! Brave visitors can be as young as five to try this challenging aerial course that spans more than 800 feet at 21 feet above the ground. Let them put their thinking caps and safety harnesses on as they encounter more than 30 obstacles that they have to figure out.
Photo credit: Open Air Adventure Park
- Keep the little ones learning at the Estes Park Memorial Observatory (EPMO). EPMO’s foundation is built on fostering a love of astronomy, math, physics, and science in children but we’re sure you’ll learn a thing or two at the observatory as well!
- Get outside and immerse yourself in another culture or all the fun at an Estes Park festival! Estes Park hosts many festivals in the summer events and community events year-round. Most festivals have plenty of age-appropriate activities, for toddlers to senior citizens, as well as food and beverages for purchase.
- Be a time traveling family with an Old West portrait! Whether you want one as a whole family or just the little ones in their cowboy or cowgirl getup, or perhaps a more romantic shot of the parents, everyone will have fun finding the perfect costume and pose for this unique souvenir. Head to Elkhorn Avenue in downtown Estes Park for your photo, and be sure to visit one of the neighboring ice cream shops for a scoop (or two!) afterwards.
Photo credit: Real Time Old West Portraits
That’s just a taste of all the family-friendly activities in Estes Park that your family can be enjoying on a summer vacation! Pick out a few other things to do during your visit to Estes Park or select that perfect cabin to call home in the Rockies.