There’s a crisp breeze in the air that signals that the most wonderful time of the year is almost upon us and we can think of no better place to enjoy the holiday season than in the Rockies. Celebrate the holiday season in Estes Park with these fun events and festive things to do!
Catch the Glow Christmas Parade & Celebration
November 24, 2017
Get in the holiday spirit after Thanksgiving with this free signature Estes Park event! Hear classic Christmas songs, see the lit-up floats, and dancers at the parade, starting at 5:30 p.m. along Elkhorn Ave. There’s a family-friendly festival happening in Bond Park from noon to 4 p.m. prior to the parade and you’ll have the chance to get a head start on telling Santa what you want this year!
Tinsel Tavern Tour
December 9, 2017
Stay warm inside and out as you wear your best holiday sweater and sample specialty cocktails and drinks on the Tinsel Tavern Tour in early December! Tickets must be bought in advance for this event and there are “hold the booze” tickets available for guests who want to participate in the costume contests, enjoy light appetizers, and the music without the beverages.
Estes Park Winter Festival & Winter Trails Day
January 13 – 14, 2018
Though this event is in January, it’s still technically a holiday as it’s held over Martin Luther King, Jr. Day weekend! At the festival, get your food and drink tickets for chili samples, beer and wine pours, and enjoy live music and family-friendly activities. On Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., head to the Park & Ride Lot across from Glacier Basin for snowshoe demos, advice, and outdoor gear displays! The event is free but park admission still applies.
Things to do
- Hike or snowshoe: Some trails are still accessible for hikers in the winter months or you can take to the snow-packed trails for a morning of snowshoeing through Rocky Mountain National Park. There are many local rental companies that also offer guided tours or lessons if you’re new to snowshoeing, but trust us when we say that if you can hike, you can snowshoe! Check out some of our favorite snowshoeing trails to plan your trip!
- Go skiing: Estes Park has backcountry skiing and cross-country skiing, and just an hour south of us is Eldora Ski Resort if you’re looking for a full-day adventure on the slopes! Cross-country skiing is a bit easier on the West side of the park with its flatter terrain and rangers from Rocky Mountain National Park will host cross-country skiing programs in the winter so you can combine your fun with some fun insight about the park.
- Feel like a kid again: Bring a sled or rent one and take to the hills at Hidden Valley for a fun activity no matter your age!
- Pick up holiday gifts: Stroll the Riverwalk and pop into some shops for unique holiday gifts for everyone on your list! Though it’s open year-round, you’ll have to stop into The Christmas Shoppe on Elkhorn Avenue to pick up Estes Park-themed souvenirs and holiday trinkets.
- Make holiday treats: Stay warm inside your cozy Estes Park cabin and make use of your kitchen by making some holiday goodies and drinks. Check out our blog on some of our favorite quick and easy recipes you can make this holiday season!
- Sip spirits: Not only will the holiday spirit be all around you in Estes Park, but you can enjoy some of our specialty spirits and our local wineries, breweries, and distilleries! Some of our breweries and distilleries have seasonal cocktails and brews to set the festive mood!
- Relax: Stay inside and unwind with a massage or specialty treatment at one of Estes Park’s spas or massage centers!
Whether you choose to do a lot during your visit to Estes Park or simply enjoy the season and being with friends and family, we think you’ll feel right at home in one of our cabins or condos at Rocky Mountain Resorts!